Creating a PDF from Quark 6.5
Before creating a PDF, please keep in mind:
- Fonts: Ensure that all fonts are loaded prior to creating your PDF
- Image Resolution: As a rule, all Photoshop images should have a resolution of 300 dpi. Any bitmap should be at 600 dpi
- Color Space: ALL RGB images should be converted to CMYK
- Color Separations: Run off laser separations to be certain your document will separate correctly
- Bleeds: Extend all elements that run off the edge of the page an additional 1/8" beyond the final trim size.
- Document Size: Create your document at the final size you would like it produced. Avoid building on an oversized layout. Pay particular attention to panel sizes where one panel may need to be narrower to accomodate a fold (for instance, a tri-fold brochure)
- Transparency & Drop Shadows: Set the Transparency Flattener (Advanced Menu) to High Resolution
- Spot Colors: If spot colors are used in a 4-color process document, click the Ink Manager button in the Output Menu and check the "All Spots to Process" checkbox
Setting Your PDF Defaults
Initially you'll have to set up some presets in Quark. This is a one-time setup.
1. Go to the QuarkXpress 6 Preferences dialogue box WITH NO WINDOW OPEN.
2. Select "PDF" then click on "Direct to PDF", then on "Default Options"
3. Use the following settings: (click images for larger view)
Leave these fields blank
Do not include Hyperlinks
Job Options Settings:
"OPI Active" UNselected
When the above settings are correct, click OK.
After the PDF Export Options are set, go to File > Export/Layout. Click the Options button to ensure your new default settings are being applied. Name the file, then click Save.
1. Click File > Print...
2. Under the Layout tab, select the “Separations” checkbox
3. Under the Output tab make sure “Print Colors” is set to Composite CMYK
1. In the Colors Palette, Cmd+Click any spot color’s ink icon (to the right of the name) to open the Colors Window
2. Click “Edit” to open the Edit Color window
3. Uncheck the “Spot Color” checkbox
4. Click OK and then Save